Sunday, June 05, 2005

I see your extra fiber, Karen, and raise it by one large cockroach crawling on my neck

Yes, on my first night here in my non-air conditioned apartment in Dhaka, I woke up in the middle of the night to find a very large (we're talking thumb-sized) cockroach crawling on my neck! Fortunately, as those of you who know about my friends who live in my apartment in ATL, I am an expert cockroach killer and had my trusty Reef/Cockroach-Killer flip flops nearby and I got those suckers (there was more than one) on the first shot. My roommate was appalled, as the girl who lived in my room for a year before me never saw any roaches the whole time she was there.
Other than the cockroaches, Dhaka is hot hot hot. But now its pouring rain, so its a little less humid and hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight without sweating all over my little bed on the floor.
I went to the office yesterday and today and got introduced to everyone, including the two office peons. Seriously, the other people in the office actually call them peons. The peons job is to bring in coffee, tea, and Wimpy sandwiches on a regular basis, and of course I can't bring myself to call them peons, although no one has told me their proper names and of course they don't speak any English.
But, research-wise, things look good, lots of help from the director and the partner at UNICEF and they are already setting up field visits, though we have to wait for police permission.
In the meantime, the best thing about Dhaka is the little three-wheeled green CNGs (so called because they use natural gas) that I take to get around. Its like a combination motorbike/rickshaw/donkey cart/cage and you kind of zoom around low to the ground. Although putting your taka (rhymes with Dhaka) in through the holes in the cage part where the driver sits when you pay makes it feel a little like you're either in the back of a very tiny police car or an animal in a cage (not that I would know)!
Salaam aleikum...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home